ENV210 Catchment Hydrology
An OTT river-level recorder based on a float and a shaft encoder
This site contains copies of lecture handouts and further reading to read online or download as part of ENV210 Catchment Hydrology (LEC275 in 2014 onwards). These resources will be updated throughout the module.The resources are mostly held on an INTRANET (so access on campus or setup VPN access new page) and will be updated throughout the module. You can access the same resources via Moodle
The module aims to introduce concepts, plus measurement and analytical techniques used by hydrologists to solve water-related problems in catchments (notably flood forecasting and water quality remediation). The module is taught by Nick A Chappell. Learning objectives are: 1/ quantitative description of catchment hydrological processes, 2/ use of data and models to derive solutions, and 3/ assimilate primary literature to address wider problems, plus understand current data and theoretical limitations.
The class text is Shaw, E.M., Beven, K.J., Chappell, N.A., and Lamb, R., 2010. Hydrology in Practice. Fourth Edition. Taylor and Francis, Abingdon (ISBN: 9780415370424). Copies of the Fourth Edition are also in the University Library. A personal paperback copy of this book can be purchased from Blackwells campus bookshop (tel: 01524 32581) at £35. It can also be purchased online from Amazon from £29, and a KINDLE copy at £24.94
Click on links below to read or download handouts and reading for each lecture (see end for 2-slides per page for printing):
- Lecture 1: Introduction to catchment hydrology
The lectures are all held in Furness LT1.
The first lecture is at 12 noon Monday 7th Oct 2013.
- Lecture 2: Rainfall: processes & measurement
- Lecture 3: Rainfall: analysis
- Lecture 4: Evaporation: direct measurement
- Lecture 5: Evaporation: processes
- Lecture 6: Subsurface water: states and flows
- Lecture 7: Runoff: measurement & basic analysis
- Lecture 8: Rainfall-runoff: processes & pathways
- Lecture 9: Rainfall-runoff: basic modelling
- Lecture 10: Rainfall-runoff: distributed modelling
- Lecture 11: Water Quality: measurement
- Lecture 12: Water Quality: treatment
Ratnayaka et al. (2009) [book at UGH in Library]
- Lecture 13: Revision session
Cover final questions that have arisen from your revision and a final practice
- Lecture 14: Research case studies
- Lecture 15: End-of-module test
CWA test - Thursday 14th Nov 2013 at 11am prompt start in County South LT
- Fieldwork practical (week 3 - Tues or Wed depending on your timetabled practical group)
Subsurface water practical (Ou catchment)
Whalley, W.R., 1993. Journal of Soil Science 44: 1–9.
See Moodle for your field data
- Fieldvisit practical (week 5 or 6 depending on United Utilities and your timetabled practical group)
Water quality practical involving a guided visit to the Franklaw WTW (drinking water treatment works)
- Past Exam Questions
use the past exam questions to help you revise
Past exam questions for ENV210 (c/o Registry website)
Note: ENV210 module and hence exam questions very different for 2002-8
- Handout printing: PDF files with 2-slides per page for printing
Copyright © Dr. Nick Chappell, Lancaster University 2014. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.